Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mail

It’s always good to hear from all of you back home. Whether it be through comments posted on this blog, email, or snail mail, all of your words of encouragement and thoughtfulness have been very much appreciated. Asante sana! (Thank you very much!)

In the time I have been in Kenya I have received two packages by snail mail. The first was from my parents for Easter; a shirt, a watch, and best of all, jelly beans. The second was from Jane, my friend from Australia, who just returned home after working at an orphanage in Kenya; an UNO deck and delicious Cadbury milk chocolate. These were both very good gifts to get and I enjoyed them immensely.

Some of you back home have asked me if there is anything that I need and the fact of the matter is that there really isn’t. I am trying my best to adapt to the Kenyan lifestyle and everything I need is here. If I get a letter or a package in the mail I consider it a luxury and a real treat. I am grateful to have such friends and family, but truly I don’t need anything.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST

However, if you are the type of person that doesn’t take “no” for an answer. Some things that I don’t need, but wouldn’t mind getting are greeting cards, any kind of candy, and ketchup and mustard packets. These things can usually be sent at very little cost. Postcards can be sent to Kenya for $0.75 and 1-ounce letter envelopes for $0.85.

*Just a tip -- The Posta (Post Office) in Malava can sometimes be corrupt. Large packages receive a high tax and can cost more to retrieve than they did to ship from the States. Packages with expensive items listed on the customs label can go “missing” before they are retrieved. So my best advice is, stick with envelopes. Large packaging envelopes are fine…bubbles or no bubbles. Sending time is usually about two weeks.
My mailing address is:
Tim Constantino
Box 323
Malava 501 03
Kenya
Africa

No comments: