Friday, December 15, 2006

Suggested Viewing

I have been trying to gain as much information as I can about where I will be in Kenya and what it will be like to live in a third-world country. From movies, to pictures, to books...I have been trying to absorb it all. Last month, I received a list of suggested books and movies that might give me an idea of what life in Kenya might be like. Seeing as how I have been incredibly busy with preparations, I haven't had any time to read any of the books. From what I hear, there will be more than enough time to read while I am there. I have, however, had an opportunity to see some of the movies and even can suggest some myself. I really enjoyed Hotel Rwanda, Born into Brothels, and Yesterday. Two thumbs, way up!

Suggested Books
This Our Exile: A Spiritual Journey with the Refugees of East Africa by James Martin, SJ
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Suggested Movies
The Constant Gardener
Out of Africa
Hotel Rwanda
In the Time of the Butterflies
The Motorcycle Diaries
Crash
Born into Brothels
Yesterday

No comments: